St. James the Less & St. Helen https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester
St. Joseph, Mile End https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester-c
St. Cedd & St. Gregory https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester-b
St. Theodore of Canterbury https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester-d
Read Bishop Alan's 2020 Easter pastoral letter here.
Welcome to St. James the Less and St. Helen Catholic Church.
St. James the Less and St. Helen Catholic church is an open and growing community located in the historic town of Colchester in England.
Our main building is located in Priory Street, Colchester. Mass centres are located in other areas of the town.
Dear Parishioners and Friends,
Despite all the restrictions, let us be thankful that we can once again gather together, despite social distancing, as God’s people.
Please note the following norms in order to promote a COVID 19 safe environment :-
- Weekend masses need to be booked in advance
- Churches will open 20 minutes before start of Mass as it will take longer than normal to enter the church, please make allowances
- Entrance to Church will be via the main door, exit by the side door
- Hand sanitiser is available at entrance and exit, though you may bring your own
- It will be essential that people sit where they are asked and do not move from there
An Offertory Collection will be taken at each mass with ‘collection bags’ available on entry and exit; the donation station is also useable
- No touching of Statues or Images in Church
- Toilets will be closed except for genuine emergencies.
- The use of face covering is not obligatory but recommended by the NHS
THE PARISH STEWARDS ARE HERE TO HELP AND DIRECT YOU TO YOUR SEAT(S), PLEASE BE POLITE TO THEM AS THEY CAN ASK YOU TO LEAVE THE CHURCH IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY WITH PRESENT GOVERNMENT AND DIOCESAN REGULATIONS.
Anyone displaying symptoms of Covid-19, or who has reason to believe that they have been in contact with someone who has, should not attend church or volunteer in any capacity until they have received medical advice that it is safe to do so.
TO RESERVE A SEAT AT A WEEKEND MASS: This can be done via the following
- Clicking here
- Clicking on the links on Facebook
- By phoning the presbytery office (If you do not have access to the Internet); when calling please advise how many seats you will require (must be from same household) and give your full name and contact number.
- For Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals, please contact our parish office.
- Visiting for the Sacrament of the Sick is possible, under certain circumstances.
- Mass Intentions. These can be posted/popped through the letterbox of 51, Priory Street and will be published in the newsletter, which will be available on the parish website.
- If you are self-isolating and would like to speak to a priest or have any worries, please contact us at the Presbytery on 01206 866317 and we will try to help you.