St. James the Less & St. Helen https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester
St. Joseph, Mile End https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester-c
St. Cedd & St. Gregory https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester-b
St. Theodore of Canterbury https://www.dioceseofbrentwood.net/donations?parish=colchester-d
Read Bishop Alan's 2020 Easter pastoral letter here.
Welcome to St. James the Less and St. Helen Catholic Church.
St. James the Less and St. Helen Catholic church is an open and growing community located in the historic town of Colchester in England.
Our main building is located in Priory Street, Colchester. Mass centres are located in other areas of the town.
FACEMASKS. It is now a legal requirement that facemasks or coverings are worn when entering all places of worship (unless you are medically exempt or under 11yrs).
Dear Parishioners and Friends,
Due to the latest Government restrictions, we are currently not able to gather for public worship from 5th November to 2nd December. During this time, Fr. Paschal and I will continue to celebrate Mass separately each day at 8.15am without a congregation; Mass intentions will be published for each Mass in the weekly newsletter. The Church will open daily (Mon-Sun) from 10.00am to 11.00am for individual prayer and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. Thank you to all our volunteer Stewards, as without you this would not be possible. Fr. Chris
Please note the following norms which remain in place in order to promote
a COVID 19 safe environment :-
- Churches will open 15 minutes before start of Private Prayer
- Entrance to Church will be via the main door, exit by the side door
- Hand sanitiser is available at entrance and exit, though you may bring your own
- It will be essential that people sit where they are asked and do not move from there
- The use of face covering/mask in Church is now mandatory (please donít forget yours when attending Church) and that you wear it so that it covers both your mouth and nose.
- Social distancing must be maintained at all times within Church.
- An Offertory Collection box will be situated at entrance and exit; the donation station is also useable
- No touching of Statues or Images in Church
- Toilets will be closed except for genuine emergencies.
- We are still required to have Church stewards daily for private prayer and the church will be cleaned in readiness for the next morning.
THE PARISH STEWARDS ARE HERE TO HELP AND DIRECT YOU TO YOUR SEAT(S),
PLEASE BE POLITE TO THEM AS THEY CAN ASK YOU TO LEAVE THE CHURCH IF YOU DO
NOT COMPLY WITH PRESENT GOVERNMENT AND DIOCESAN REGULATIONS.
Anyone displaying symptoms of Covid-19, or who has reason to believe that
they have been in contact with someone who has, should not attend church or
volunteer in any capacity until they have received medical advice that it is
safe to do so.
- For Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals, please contact our parish office.
- Visiting for the Sacrament of the Sick is possible, under certain circumstances.
- Mass Intentions. These can be posted/popped through the letterbox of 51, Priory Street and will be published in the newsletter, which will be available on the parish website.
- If you are self-isolating and would like to speak to a priest or have any worries, please contact us at the Presbytery on 01206 866317 and we will try to help you.